Friday, June 13, 2014

The Clothesline Experiment

I have been neglecting the blogging world the past couple of months and I apologize. I also apologize in advance for the plethora of posts that I'll be loading up this coming week. I've been super busy working on custom jar orders for customers and willing at the local farmer's market with my friend Racheal. We LOVE selling our homemade, all-natural toothpastes, deodorants, laundry soap and doggie treats. We don't love, however, getting up at 4:30 am to do Farmer's market but somehow we manage!

At one point over the past few hectic weeks I mentioned to my hubby that I'd love a clothesline in our backyard. It seemed like the most natural thing given the rest of our going-green changes and efforts. I've always had a clothesline so as soon as the weather warmed up, I began longing for the smell of line-dried linens! We looked at building a wooden line, possibly hiring the Amish to build one, and even simply running one from our back patio roof to a tree. We really didn't want to commit to pouring concrete and a permanent setup. During the indecisiveness period of this project, we happened upon our old house to dig up and transplant some neglected peony bushes. The owner suggested we could have the metal clothesline poles in the back, so my hubby put on his Superhero cape and managed to break them out of the ground. Yay! A few weeks later my father-in-law came over to help and they spent the afternoon installing and stabilizing my new-to-me clothesline!

Isn't it fabulous? I have since added some bright, cheery bandanas to help encourage hummingbirds to visit and a porcelain enamel pot of beautiful flowers. It probably needs some beautifying but I use it every single sunny day that Missouri gives us! There's just something about the smell of line-dried sheets and clothes, but more than that I feel so liberated from the dryer! Good for my soul and food for the earth!

Do you use a clothesline? Does it conjure up memories of your mama or grandmother hanging the wash? I'd love to hear about it or see your clothesline photos in the comment section! Happy laundering, everyone!


Kim



 

No comments:

Post a Comment